10 August 2008

10 August 2008 1012 EDT

It rained a lot yesterday, so I couldn't mow. I usually mow on Saturdays and clean the pool on Sundays. Now I have to do both today. There seems to be no time for anything else. That's OK. All of this work keeps me off the streets.

I should have been out there by now. It's gonna get hot soon. But, with only a 20% chance of rain, I guess I can give up on hoping of being rained out (damn!)

At work (Southern Data Comm), I'm part of a project where I need to code something in ASP.net. On the Web side, I know Cold Fusion, and PHP. In IT, one has the chance to learn the "flavor of the month". Well, I bit the bullet and downloaded MS Visual Studio 2005 and started playing with it. I also viewed several videos that Microsoft has about using the Visual Studio and ASP.net. I have to admit that it's pretty cool.

On the flip side, anything in .net is proprietary. But, Microsoft is not going away, so it's good to know how to do things several different ways.

I'm still a UNIX guy at heart, and there is plenty of UNIX at work.

...

Wow, it's hot. I just finished mowing the lawn -- weeds --- lawn. It's mowed. Whatever.

As I sit in my office under my ceiling fan trying to get cool before I work on the pool, I realize that I'm pretty lucky. My bad back isn't bad enough to keep me from doing my share around the house (yet), and it really doesn't take that long. The pool is in good shape, so it won't take too long either.

Sarah likes to come out on the lanai on pool cleaning day. She's very confused about this weekend. As I mentioned, I didn't mow yesterday, and that really threw off the ol' girl. Witten is sleeping in my closet, lying on my auxiliary shorts. You know, the shorts one wears around the house. He rarely goes outside anymore, which is good. This neighborhood has a bad flea problem right now.

But, we are lucky. We aren't occupied by another country in an unjust war. We haven't been invaded by a former superpower. The best country on the planet needs work, but I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Be safe!

Kooth


No comments: